Thursday, August 03, 2006

Plus ca change

Went out for a drink yesterday with New Flatmate and Lovebird plus a firend of Lovebird's -call him Jean Paul- who wants to move into the spare room in our Hackney mansion (can't believe we're escaping West Essex suburban hell in only four weeks!). Atmosphere seemed tense- partly because New Flatmate's oldest friend -can we call him Michel- has just announced he wants to move into the room. And they won't both fit, unfortunately. Lovebird put everybody at ease with his customary charm and goood manners. Actually he didn't. But he did tell New Flatmate I had had sex with Michel, which, if my memory serves me rightly, I had not. Apart from that he was on his best behaviour... Jean Paul is a very pretty art student who has to leave his Shoreditch flat in the next few weeks. He's very softly spoken, erudite and sincere. He's 26 and an old friend of Lovebird's from his modelling days. Now they go to a lot of gigs together. Michel is 23 and has just graduated. He has a mop of red hair and could not be fairly described as softly-spoken. He's been friends with New Flatmate all their lives, and their mothers are best friends too. I don't know him so well but he's very good fun, even if you get the feeling he might not always wash up. I found myself doing what I like to do when everyone is acting like the Treaty of Versailles has got to be decided around that table tonight (and the topic of conversation is not me) -staring into space, drinking my beer, humming to myself, looking at the pictures. Not necessarily a constructive way to behave, but hell, I don't mind if you don't. Just booked flights to Carcassonne for our two weeks holiday. Lovebird is distinctly underwhelmed about that- hasn't even asked for the time off yet. All he can think about is our housewarming, which had better be the party to end all parties. I can't wait to go back to Andorra and get cheap booze in for it, or to wander round Barcelona. I hope there'll be time to go to Madrid but somehow I doubt it... I haven't had two weeks off in two years. Lovebird hasn't since the day I met him. It amazes me how people can get by without a holiday. Here at the council people take annual leave when they're sick to keep their sick records clean. Now that's what I call sick...

No comments: