Thursday, August 31, 2006

Spaced out...

I'm thinking of getting a myspace. Apparently one fifth of internet traffic is now on myspace (I don't have any proof for that statistic, someone told me it in the pub last night). It's beginning to seem like a tempting proposition, like getting your own bedroom after sharing all your life. 'My own space to express myself'... can't do it today as my work blocks myspace. Everyone I know now has one, it's a crazy phenomenon. It's amazing how many bad people there are in the world. I always forget because all my friends are so nice. People need to start taking responsibility for being nice, it's so important and undervalued. I hear people saying horrible things all the time on the train, in the pub. Things about gay people, immigrants, 'pikeys', 'chavs'. It's not just a matter of thinking out your opinions before you open your mouth, or not believing what the Mail tells you, or not going along with what your neighbours say. Millions of people have made a conscious decision not to be nice, because they feel they can't afford to or don't need to or won't be until everyone else is. It sounds wishy-washy, but what single thing would improve our world more than everybody deciding to be nice?

1 comment:

Sicily said...

I don't believe in people who are always nice. It's not a rational, constructive way to behave all the time. Only some of the time.

Avoid myspace, it's owned by Rupert Murdoch. And overpopulated with pretentious fools.