Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Gotcha!

I remembered how much I like Hamlet (especially compared to Romeo and bloody Juliet). Probably that's mostly because of the way Mr Mcleod (oh my god, the first person I've ever mentioned on this blog without using a pseudonym) taught it though. I don't know how my lecturers will tackle the same material; unfortunately Baz Luhrman has yet to make a trendy new version of Hamlet that will appeal to the Youth on my course. Maybe there's a cartoon somewhere?
Mr Mcleod: I shan't read all the parts today. Let some of you do some work. Who wants to read? Right, you can be the second courtier. And now we need someone as the first courtier. Yes, you. Who else is in this scene? I'll read Claudius, of course. Hmm, and Polonius. I had better be Laertes and Ophelia as well. Hmm, I think I can manage Queen Gertrude. Who would read Hamlet best? Right, that's settled.

On one memorable occasion he actually took his jacket off and stood up and came out from behind his desk to act a particularly important part. That was the first and last time I ever saw Mr Mcleod's legs. The speech was of course 'To be or not to be'. Today and yesterday it was Student Discount Night at Topshop. Twenty percent off everything. I bought some good stuff but am kind of tempted to go back and get some more... The place has got to be what Dante's Inferno would be like if he was writing today. New Flatmate has a George Foreman Lean Mean Grilling Machine. It's amazing. Best steak I've ever had outside of a restaurant. And vegetables. And toasted sandwiches. I've thrown my sandwich toaster in the bin. I've seen the grilling light. See below for my dream coffee-maker...

4 comments:

woodscolt said...

There's always the four-hour unabridged Kenneth Branagh version...

Or, like, The Lion King. Germaine Greer would approve...

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1699238,00.html

Sicily said...

There is a fairly recent version starring Mel Gibson and Helena Bonham Carter, if I remember correctly.

Nice boots.

weierstrass said...

boycott mel gibson

Sicily said...

I guess he is an anti-semitic alcoholic.