Saturday, October 07, 2006

return of the blog

I've been busy. Now I have the amazing luxury of wireless broadband in my room I can't imagine why I'd ever go to work again... is there any other reason to go to the office apart from to use the high-speed internet connection? And now there's noone looking over my shoulder! Tower Hamlets council are bastards! Take that! Go and see The Devil Wears Prada, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I looked in every shoe-shop in the world for flat black boots that aren't pointy, slouchy or overly butch. They don't exist. The fashion empire has dictated that modern woman must fall into three categories; pointy, slouchy or butch- and there is no grey area. Even though grey is the colour for areas this A/W season. I'm enjoying college so far, except that I really do have wrinkles compared to all my fellow students. I'm going to spend some student loan today on age-defying cream. And I don't know why, but beer is cheaper in the wetherspoons down the road than it is in the union bar. Pathetic. And I embarassed myself in a French class by failing to spot the difference in the vowel sounds in été and était. For an hour. Mostly I got them the wrong way round entirely. Of course the eighteen-year-olds were waiting to see what the rest of the class had got before daring to put their hands up whereas I, with four years of bravery on them, just put up my hand for the answer I thought was right. But I've learnt my lesson now. And by the way, there is no difference. The only vowel sound you need in order to sound French is the 'schwa' sound. Which sounds like Euh...

7 comments:

weierstrass said...

as enid says in ghost world, "i'd give anything just to find a pair of completely normal black shoes'.

weierstrass said...

I ' d seriously pay like a million bucks for just a pair of normal black shoes .

woodscolt said...

I really want a pair of pointy, slouchy black boots.

refractoryperiod said...

It isn't that there aren't the right shoes out there it's that they always become the wrong shoes a day after I've purchased and worn them. I stepped into Primark last week and bought the simplest black shoes I could find. After having worn them, I realised I had bought plimsoles. They go with nothing and expose all of my worn-out socks. I consoled myself with the fact, "at least they don't squeak like my red shoes", which incidentally also go with nothing.

problemshelved said...

Plimsolls are In. Jay says so.
There are pointy, slouchy flatblack leather boots for -I think- seventy quid in that shop, what's it called, its got little angel wings on the logo. I'll think of the name soon.
But check out really cool high heeled grey suede slouchy boots, only thirty quid in New Look.

woodscolt said...

I have that problem. I now make myself wait a month before buying shoes. I have to mentally find everything in my wardrobe that goes with the potential shoes and see myself wearing them. This way, I have fewer boot failures.

However, I am slightly OCD.

Anyway, plimsolls from Primark can't have cost much, and they'll probably be useful in the summer...

problemshelved said...

Duh! Faith.