Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Excuses for not working #87-145

Wow, the internet! How does anyone get anything done anymore? There's so much to look at- I can check my messages in myspace and my friends in facebook (i still don't actually know what facebook is, but I'm definitely on it), find out what's top of the singles charts in France (this was actually homework, and the results are not pretty) and distract myself with dozens of hilarious French movies about Zinedine Zidane on youtube (once French people find something funny, they stick to it. Screw Current events) and chat to people on msn messenger- not all of them people who live in the same house as me! some of them live in other cities! It's all so gloriously pointless, I can't help myself. On my shiny new laptop (thanks Gordon. I promise I'll spend the third installment wisely, if I live that long.) that doesn't have microsoft word. What, am I old-fashioned or something? Is no one using microsoft word anymore? It has some kind of shitty word processing programme, but that doesn't have a French dictionary. You cheap bastards, microsoft. If I fail my degree I'll sue you. (Actually I'm less likely to fail my degree now I'm not using spell-check to conjugate all my verbs for me, but Bill Gates doesn't have to know that) The other major distraction I have at the moment is my new petit Larousse. Yes, a dictionary that is more interesting that the whole of the world wide web! My dad kindly got me a cool, illustrated combination dictionary and encyclopaedia, so I can't look up a single word without finding something really exciting ( a brief history of bandes dessinées, a chart showing the different ways roots grow, an article on italian etymologies in French, pictures of how kidneys work- the list is endless!) with colour photographs! I was in the pub the other day, and someone said, quite seriously, 'I've always been passionate about bricks.' (I cried with laughter, but under the table so as not to be rude) That's how I feel about my dictionary. It's a guilty pleasure. I want to read a page every night before I go to sleep.

4 comments:

woodscolt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
woodscolt said...

I have a Microsoft Office disc, if you want it. I'll check with Ed whether that will do the job. I think it will.

problemshelved said...

Sweet!

weierstrass said...

there are lot of zidane headbutt reimagining videos aren't there. there's even quite a lot of 'best of zidane headbutt' compilations now.