Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Frida and Diego

I wish I could read faster in French. Its such a vicious circle- the only way to read faster is to read more, and I can't do that because I barely have enough time to read as much as I'm reading already. (Note to self- never read Bridget Jones diary again, even if suffering from v. v. bad hangover (or any more children's books until after I graduate. In fact, nothing but serious lit crit and French novels) but I digress.) Its a very interesting book by JMG Le Clezio (are so many initials really necessary when you already have a double-barreled surname?) about Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo. I have learnt many things about Kahlo that my soppy GCSE art teacher neglected to tell me. Its great- but... thinking it would encourage me to read the 270-odd pages I had left (yes, out of 307) I volunteered last week to give a (graded) book presentation to my French class tomorrow. Zut! I've been reading away all week, but I'm only up to page 150. They've only just got bloody married, for God's sake! I've written a page of presentation, I gues I can either wing it or bunk the class. That class will cost me £36 when I actually have to pay my student loan back. (I just worked out its £18 per hour and not £13 as previously calculated). So the thought of wasting £36 of my future earnings is intolerable. Damn it, why am I blogging when I should be preparing? Goodbye, loyal readers (Jack). I may be gone some time.

5 comments:

woodscolt said...

Oi! I'm reading too. To up your French reading speed, try reading Bridget Jones and other indulgent trash en francais. What you want is crappy but gripping/unputdownable things to keep you reading. Try the library - they often have chicklit and John Grisham novels in French.

woodscolt said...

It's the only way to read guilt-free trash!

refractoryperiod said...

Another loyal reader...

So how long did it take you to work out how much your degree was costing per hour? A strangely useful procrastination exercise.

weierstrass said...

haha for me it's the other way around. if i only do 4 hours work in a week i get paid £100 per hour.

Sicily said...

yeah but they stop paying you if you haven't got your PhD in three years so it's not like the less work you do the more they pay you.

(another loyal reader btw)