Monday, April 07, 2008

Things I am currently angry about [Part 342 of a continuing series]


Happy now, Gloria?

  1. Robin Wales. Answer the email I sent you in December and we'll talk...
  2. Thames Water Advertising Campaign. Based entirely around how much less water they are pissing away than previously. What do you want, a round of applause? And so, you're 'replacing London's Victorian Water Mains'. Three cheers! It's 2008, for God's sake!
  3. Myself, for reading the London Paper's letter's page. In the Metro at least one knows they make them all up. In the London Paper it's not so sure.
  4. BT and TalkTalk. I know it's an old quarrel, but I'm still not over it.
  5. Institutionalised ageism. If you take a lot of the current debate about 'young people' and replace the words with 'black people' or 'gay people' or women... Stop telling them what to do and give them a vote, you bastards.
  6. American foreign policy
  7. Redbridge council
  8. Newham Council
  9. Mental health-care provision
  10. Virginia Woolf. Making a vague and elusive point in a roundabout fashion on behalf of educated middle-class women everywhere.
  11. The Department of Language, Linguistics and Film. That's not what I signed up for.
  12. The failure of pay-to-learn higher education to catch up with the way the rest of the market works. I am the consumer. If I don't like a part of my weekly shop I take it back and get my £1.98 refunded. I would then expect decent customer service from my friendly Tesco's representative. And BOGOF offers. If everything's for sale I would like an educational loyalty card- get the 18th year free, kind of thing. The customer is always right.
  13. The Mayoral elections. Ken's major policy is 'At least I'm not Boris'. Boris' is 'But hey, I'm not Ken'. Everyone else running on 'Well, you don't want to vote for either of those two monkeys'. [Evening Standard headline (I know, another one I should cut out of my life): "Ken steals Boris' plans for London"] I'm voting along the LePen/Chirac campaign lines- 'escroc, pas fasco'. More or less.
  14. The Eclipse Wine Bar, Islington. Ruining my life all the way across East London.
  15. People who contact me to tell me to update my blog but don't just come to my home and spend time with me. (Not you, Gloria)
  16. Supermarket products that are fair-trade but not recyclable. Or recyclable but not organic. Or organic but flown in from Guatemala. I've signed up to pay this premium on my weekly shopping bill as a stamp of my middle-class-guilt, now give me what I want.
  17. Google taking over blogger. And I personally would be the last person to tell another person not to be evil.
  18. Doctors with religious beliefs.
  19. People who know my e-mail address yet still message me on facebook. So I get an email informing me to check facebook. So maybe I'll just go back to writing letters.
  20. Royal Mail. Now making no attempt at all to get your post to you in the morning, in one piece, within one day, within two days, within a month.
There's more but I'm worried about my blood pressure. Next week: things I hate so much I can't breathe.

1 comment:

Sicily said...

"things I hate so much I can't breathe"

Seriously, don't joke about that shit. Mine includes black cabs.