Saturday, May 09, 2009

Writers

Jo has written an excellent list of '25 writers who have influenced me'. As she points out, it's pretty difficult to choose them, although I could easily have borrowed twenty of the ones she chose. Here are some of the ones that always make me think 'I must write more myself, and will definitely start as soon as I finish this essay/academic year/sandwich'. Non-exhaustive list. Every good book I read influences me in one way or another... just not necessarily to write.
  1. Maya Angelou
  2. Margaret Atwood
  3. Charles Baudelaire
  4. William Blake
  5. Anne Brontë
  6. John le Carré
  7. Charles Dickens
  8. Franz Fanon
  9. Gustave Flaubert
  10. Thomas Hardy
  11. Seamus Heaney
  12. Cynthia Heimel
  13. Joseph Heller
  14. Herman Hesse
  15. Michel Houellebecq
  16. Christopher Isherwood
  17. Doris Lessing
  18. Toni Morrison
  19. Vladimir Nabokov
  20. Zora Neale Hurston
  21. Thomas Pynchon
  22. F Scott Fitzgerald
  23. Robert Service
  24. Muriel Spark
  25. Oscar Wilde
I separated childrens authors because I think they have a different kind of influence over you as a child (especially a child with no tv!) and as a grown-up, but here are some from whom I'll always take inspiration.
  1. Joan Aiken
  2. Bernard Ashley
  3. J M Barrie
  4. Antonia Forest
  5. Judith Kerr
  6. Roger McGough
  7. AA Milne
  8. Antoine de Saint- Exupéry
  9. Jean Ure
  10. Benjamin Zephaniah

No comments: